Tuesday, January 4, 2011

vacation is over

 and time to get back to my ranting and raving. I want to continue my last post concerning wage discrimination. As I stated, using a more discriminated against group E. G. Transsexuals to prove discrimination against a less discriminated against group E. G. Females cannot provide an accurate result.

However, although I normally dislike anecdotal evidence, I do have a better example. I have a friend who is a world renowned engineer in a very specific field. She is an academic, normally a very liberal group. Therefore her entire environment is one in which an individual is judged mainly by the quality of his/her work. Or so we would hope. My friend tells the story concerning the first seminar she attended after her surgery. Prior to her surgery my friend said when she spoke everyone listened.  I will use Larry as her pre-op name (obviously I would not use her correct name.) When Larry spoke, people listened.  When there was a discussion everyone waited to see what Larry's pronouncement would be. Larry was THE expert in the field. However, at that first seminar after her surgery. Laura (again a false name) was not treated the same. When she entered the room someone said to her: "As long as you're up, you can bring in the coffee." This would never have been said to Larry. I asked Laura if that's if it were a joke. She said no, the individual was serious.

Anticdotal evidence of course. But isn't the life of a female mostly anecdotal evidence?

No comments: