Wednesday, October 8, 2014

I'm back (maybe) with a Feminist Twist (at least for today)

I just read this article. 

http://m.runnersworld.com/womens-running/do-i-look-like-a-man?cid=socMOT_20141007_33080086

By coincidence this subject came up in a discussion I had with a dog walking friend last evening.  Obviously, not having my surgery until my mid 50s meant that I had all those years of testosterone poisoning.  She and I were talking about how masculine I am and how I felt as a child.  She thought that I must have been very feminine as a child but as my cousin said when he found out that I am trans:  "Wow, I never would have thought that of you.  You were the biggest badass I knew growing up."  And I was.  And I still am and I am proud of it. 

Masculinity and Femininity are social constructs that have nothing at all to do with a person's body/mind connection.  As Lauren stated so much more eloquently than I can.  When did being strong become a masculine trait?  Man up?  Don't make me laugh.  Big strong professional football players, who are stronger and tougher than 99.99% of the general male population still have to beat up on woman to "prove their superiority."  If that's "manning up"  who would want to be a part of it.

I agree with Lauren as far as doing away with any gender reference relating to strength or weakness whether it be mental, physical, or emotional.  Grow a set should refer to boobs and balls equally.

No comments: