Monday, May 3, 2010

BIGOTRY

The car needed an oil change so I looked on line to see what places there are in Luray. The only one mentioned was “RAMSEY'S AUTO SERVICE.” Please remember that name in case you are ever in Luray. When I arrived there I saw a sign that said: “ENGLISH spoken here. If you don't understand English go back where you came from.”

Now I doubted the wisdom of pointing out to Mr. Ramsey the efficacy, or lack thereof, in printing a sign in a language that gave instructions to people who didn't speak that language. Obviously, the sign wasn't meant for tham at all. It is intended to shout to the world: “I am a bigot and I want to associate only with other bigots.”


I got my oil changed somewhere else where the only sign said: “Cash or check only. No plastic.”

No comments: