Monday, May 10, 2010

Plus la change

Another week in Luray. As long as the weather holds out, I can take it. Saturday there was a street fair that is the highlight of the year here. It was so like the ones in NYC that the only thing it lacked was the socks vendor. It depressed me a little because I miss many things from NYC. I left the fair as soon as the entertainment started. Country religious songs sung very badly. OUCH. That's worse than Christian rock.

Then the Met had Lulu as it's final Live at the Met show of the season. It is a 20th century German opera which is an oxymoron. Add to that it is atonic and it sounded like hot pokers were stuck up the behinds of screetch owls. Last week was a little known and less often played serious opera by Rossini. It was better than I thought and it had the advantage of the lead role being sung by Renee Fleming.

Yesterday was "Little Devil Stairs" and the view was amazing. It actually was down the side of a canyon. Some people hiked up it but I wouldn't even try it as the name should have been "Giant Devil Stairs". I took the long way around and added three miles to my hike. But it was a beautiful day and I have nothing else to do.

But I think of how other people fill their days with TV, sports, shopping and other myriad things to pass the time and I know that I shouldn't complain.

No comments: