Friday, March 19, 2010

The Central Rappahannock Regional Library

Well, I got "rousted" by security last evening so I should comment on the library. I've been using it almost daily in the morning and evening for a few hours per day for the last month or so. I charge my phone and my laptop there. I use the restroom a lot and print out the few things I need to be printed. On the whole, except for one minor comment by one of the employees, it's been a pleasant experience there. Obviously they know I am homeless and I try to stay as out of the way as possible and they say nothing.

I honestly cannot say anything bad about it. If it weren't for them I wouldn't have a charged up battery and the ability to visit job sites several times a day. Yesterday I filled out one of their forms to send to politicians who want to cut library services. Ridiculous. This place is awesome in so many ways. There are now so many services that they offer that I think it's a throwaway line that they can say "Oh by the way, we also have books here." So thank you librarians, security, WiFi providers, etc., for making my stay in Fredericksburg a little easier. But let's balance the budget on the back of the poor. Makes sense to me.

So I guess that someone complained that I am sleeping in the parking lot. Often I stay there late and sometimes get there before the library opens to use the WiFi which reaches out there. It is also very safe as I pull up next to the book drop on the driver's side and no one is getting near the passenger side with Guy there on guard. I watch HULU, Netflix, my 30 Rock, House, and Parks and Rec., and just chill out. So I am not sure why somebody complained. As the security guard and I "joked" I really am extra security because they have had problems in the past with vandalism but with me there and awake and with a dog no one would be coming in. We also talked about Guy and if I thought people were complaining now, if I ever let him alone in the car when it was warm, they would really complain. But I mentioned that in an earlier post that I would soon be headed to a cooler clime because of Guy.

The only thing that I think happened is when it was cold, I used to get all bundled up with my sleeping bag and extra layers of clothes before I went to the rest stop so the car would be warm when I got there and I wouldn't have to open the car door and let in the cold air. I still get out the sleeping bag and pillow because it is easier when I get to the rest stop and someone may have seen that and thought I was sleeping.

Well, that's my story about The Central Rappahannock Regional Library.

No comments: