Sunday, March 28, 2010

It's all in the context

I heard a radio program this morning on NPR, obviously the "liberal media." It was a "quiz show" based on current events. At the beginning they mentioned that Obama was so happy with the passage of the great bleeping bill that he celebrated by framing his Kenyan birth certificate and hanging it in the Oval Office. Then he invited a bunch of terrorists to lunch and he finished the day by inviting a bunch of Republican lawmakers to the White House for a preview of Michelle's new movie "Kill Whitey."

Of course the audience roared with laughter. However, what would have been the reaction by me or the audience if the person saying those words were Limbaugh, Beck, or Coulter and the audience was the national convention of the NRA?

I mention that because today is one of those "what do the real homeless do?" It's 36 degrees, the rain has increased, and the wind is ablowin. For the short hike that Guy and I took I had on four layers and brought out the gloves that I had put away. It's a raw day that cuts to the bone. A regular homeless person would have been under a bridge wrapped in countless layers, topped off by a sleeping bag, not moving for hours.

For a while it was the "perfect" hiking day for me. Those of you who know me know that I love the rain and the more miserable the day, the more I like to walk in it. But today I'm depressed and all I want to do is sit on a couch, wrapped in a blanket, with a hot cup of tea, and the NY Times Sunday Crossword Puzzle. If it were three years later and I was "retired" living on Social Security, today would be perfect. Why is it that I am so miserable today?

No comments: