Thursday, February 18, 2010

Weather forecasts and layering

So I woke up warm and there was no ice on the inside of the windshield. Obviously, it wasn't a cold night as forecast. However, to prepare, I layered as experience taught me. A pair of thick wool hiking socks, then heavy cotton socks, covered by those silly looking slipper socks. A long sleeve T, then a thin sweat shirt, a thicker sweat shirt, a long sleeve medium button down wool shirt, a medium wind breaker, and a heavy wool coat. A thick wool cap pulled over my ears and medium weight hiking gloves. For a cover I use a three season sleeping bag. I look like a cross between the Sta-Puff marshmallow man, the Michelin Man, and the cartoon kid dressed by his mother to play in the snow who falls over and can't get up because of everything he is wearing AND I STILL GET COLD if it gets into the lows 20's.

Being in the car I have no wind chill so once again I ask, what do regular homeless people do. This is Central Virginia by god, not NYC or Detroit or Buffalo.

No comments: