Tuesday, December 7, 2010

I'm glad I didn't vote for Obama

 I guess I can't complain. I asked for it. It seems as if we may be getting an extension of unemployment benefits. Normally I would be ecstatic over that. However, in this case I am very upset. I can't believe that Obama allowed the Republicans to hold unemployment benefits hostage for a tax cut for the wealthy.

A few days ago Sen. Sanders, from Vermont, gave a speech that I saw on YouTube.

http://sanders.senate.gov/newsroom/news/?id=3A474094-8631-45CE-BE9C-AB9C96C165AF

If you listen to him you will be appalled and sickened. In it he states that the top 1% of the population earns as much as the bottom 50%. Not only that but 80% of ALL, I repeat ALL, new income generated between the years 1980 and 2005 have gone to the top 1% of the population.

Good old Bernie says that he will filibuster this bill. This morning I sent him an e-mail of congratulations for taking that position. It is unbelievable that a president who was elected because of the efforts of the more progressive people in the country could kowtow to the Republicans like this.

Obama in his speech this afternoon stated that now is not the time to take a political stand. If not now,  when the hell should we take one? Besides, isn't that what the Republicans did?  They said, as a bloc, if you don't give everyone, including the richest of the rich (think Warren Buffet and Donald Trump) a tax cut, no one gets a tax cut.

It's ridiculous to think that things will get any better when the Republicans take over the House.  There  is absolutely no reason that unemployment benefits have to be tied to a tax cut.  They are entirely different issues.  If these tax cuts go through someone like me will get a tax benefit of approximately $1000 a year. However the average tax cut for the top 1% from what I have heard will be approximately $70,000?     Just who in the hell do you think will be paying for that $70,000? That's right, the bottom 50%.   The increase in deficits have to be paid from somewhere.  Social programs are the only programs other than the military that have a budget large enough to affect the deficit.

 I guess we owe another apology to the youth of our nation.  We are leaving you a pile of crap,  and debt, that you will never get out of.  However,  you can sleep soundly knowing that the rich all have that extra $70,000 a year to spend on vintage cars, vacations in Monaco,  or anything else that they want to do.   That is of course if you still have a bed to sleep in.

No comments: