Wednesday, December 8, 2010

TSA agents

I've heard complaints that I've been attacking the agents and not the system, and that I jumped the shark with my pedo remarks.  However, I do try to be fair and reasonable.  For example, when I say that you are being groped by ex bartenders and waitstaff, it's because I read an interview with some agents and one of them said that was his background.  Knowing that bartenders, on the whole, are those who I would like LEAST to be groping at me, I passed that information on to you.

However, once again, to be fair.  I did some research on the TSA web-site. 

First, the person groping you is NOT a law enforcement agent, and has no enforcement authority or training.

Second, He (or she) is earning a starting salary of $12.25 - $14.08 per hour. (Of course, that is about what we pay starting teachers in many states.    So maybe they are "professionals.")  However, that thought kinda gets blown out of the water when you read the qualifications and you discover that a GED, or equivalent, is all that is required.  By the way, WHAT is EQUIVALENT to a GED?

Finally, said individual can be a convicted felon.  There are some felonies that do preclude one from being hired and are listed here.


https://hraccess-assessment.tsa.dhs.gov/TSOFAQs/BackgroundRequirements.pdf

The one I found most interesting is that the only assault convictions that disqualify an applicant are Aggravated Assault and Assault with Intent to Murder.  Using the legal concept that if certain items are specifically listed, it is the intent of the writers of the law to exclude other like items, then other felonious assault convictions, and ALL misdemeanor assault convictions are non-disqualifying.

Now, granted, I may have been too explicit in my comments about cavity searches, even though I am seeing more and more commentary that they are next on the agenda.  However, if and when they come to pass, read the above qualifications of the person doing them.  In fact, those are the people doing the groping now. 

Sorry.  I'll still opt-out of all of it.

No comments: