Thursday, April 29, 2010

Old rocks and trouble falling asleep

Shouldn't have thought about 1.2 Billion year old rocks. I started thinking about things being older which led to no beginning and no end ... AKA eternity. Eternity scares the hell out of me because I can't understand it. No end is easier to grasp than no beginning. What was "before" the Big Bang? Anything? Was it an eternity of nothing? In mathematics I learned that a line has an infinite number of points. (Believe it or not, the proof is amazingly simple.) But that means that a two inch line has the same number of points as a 100 miles long line even though the 100 mile long line has many points that are not on the 2 inch line. Both have an infinite number of points. But infinity is infinity and nothing is larger.

So I started trying to comprehend no beginning and no end, but with us all being mortal, does it matter? And that is what kept me from falling asleep.

I want to be infinite.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It would put me to sleep.

Sally