Friday, April 23, 2010

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG - BETTER THAN EAGLES

Another once in a lifetime experience. It was very warm today and Guy and I were walking up a steep path when we crossed what was no more than a trickle. Being a kind and considerate owner I stopped and told him to take a drink. (For some reason he won't drink unless I tell him it's OK.) When I looked up the path I saw at least two and maybe three bears about 20 - 40 yards ahead of us. Immediately, I bent down and grabbed Guy's collar so he couldn't even strain against the leash. I looked up and didn't see the bears at first, then saw two of them at the side of the path drinking from a large puddle. I remained crouching but they must have heard or smelled us because they scurried off into the brush. At that time I only saw a cub and a larger bear, presumably the mother. I waited until long after they were gone to continue and kept Guy on a very short leash for another mile because I heard some thrashing in the brush.

Now, although I wasn't close enough to have seen their eyes, that was close enough for me. I may be unemployed and homeless but it's not everyone who gets to see black bears in their habitat only a couple of dozen yards away.

No comments: